Shaving, tweezing, waxing, using depilatory creams--there are a ton of ways to remove unwanted body hair, and every method is different. But which is the most effective? Which one is the least painful? Which is the easiest?
Today, we're comparing two of the most popular methods to remove unwanted hair: laser hair removal and waxing.
Both are extremely effective methods for hair removal, but the process, pain level, and results of each vary quite a bit. So, which method is better you might ask? Keep reading to find out!
How Does Waxing Work?
The process of removing hair with wax is simple. With a little hot wax, an applicator, and a fabric strip, you can essentially remove hair from anywhere on your body in just moments.
An applicator is used to apply the hot wax to the skin in the direction of hair growth. Then, a strip of fabric is applied on top and smoothed down also in the same direction of hair growth. The final step involves pulling the strip of fabric off the skin in the direction that is opposite of the hair growth.
With the right technique, waxing pulls the hair directly from the follicle. The result is smooth skin without any stubble or visible hair left on the surface. The follicle, however, does remain intact in the dermis layer of the skin.
Waxing typically leaves the skin smooth and hairless for several weeks, at which point you will need to wax the same area again when hair regrows to remove it.
The Pros and Cons of Waxing
There are pros and there are cons to every method of hair removal. It's crucial to weigh these out carefully before deciding if waxing is the right technique for you:
- For just one session, waxing is much less expensive than a laser hair removal session. However, if you get wax treatments regularly, it can end up costing you more than laser hair removal treatment.
- Waxing is an effective technique of hair removal for all skin tones and hair types. Regardless of the texture or the color of your skin or hair, waxing is a great option for those who might not be a good candidate for laser hair removal treatment.
- Another great benefit of waxing is that it can be done at home. At-home wax and wax-strips are available for those looking to get rid of unwanted hair from the comfort of their very own bathroom.
- If you have ever experienced getting waxed, you know one thing: it hurts! Wax treatments can be especially painful in sensitive areas of the body like the bikini line and upper lip.
- Waxing can also cause ingrown hairs because it doesn't destroy the root of the hair - it just pulls the hair from the follicle. This means that hair will grow back within a few weeks and when it does, it could grow in the wrong direction and become ingrown.
- If you want oh-so-smooth, hair-free skin at all times, waxing is not going to be the best option because you need at least a quarter-inch of hair growth so that the wax has something to grip onto. This means you'll have to endure some stubble here and there, as you'll need some in-between waxes for regrowth.
- Lastly, waxing can cause damage to your skin, especially if you have sensitive skin. If you do happen to have sensitive skin, you should never apply hot wax to any areas of your face, as it might burn the top layers of your skin, which can be rather painful.
How Does Laser Hair Removal Work?
Compared to other common methods of hair removal like waxing and shaving, laser hair removal is a bit more complex. It involves the use of a high-powered laser light that attacks the root of the hair, which then destroys the follicle to prevent hair from growing back.
The process usually begins by cooling and numbing the treated skin. A laser specialist will then apply the laser light to the skin in the area targeted for hair removal. On average, about six sessions are typically required, but results can last for months or even years. In some cases, a quick touch up session may be needed from time to time after your initial laser treatment to prevent the hair follicles from regenerating.
The Pros and Cons of Laser Hair Removal Treatment
Laser hair removal treatment has its own share of pros and cons, though most people will agree, the benefits outweigh the risks.
- If you are looking for long-term results, this popular hair removal method is the best. Some see permanent results, while most enjoy results that last for months or even years.
- If you're trying to save time - and who isn't - laser hair removal treatment is the way to go! The sessions are fast and easy. Even if you are having treatment on a large area of the body, you'll only be under the laser light for a couple of minutes at a time.
- Laser hair removal treatment is safe and doesn't do any long-term damage to the skin. Even those with sensitive skin can use this popular hair removal method.
- One of the best benefits of laser hair removal treatment is that you can literally laser any part of the body where you have unwanted hair - excluding the eyes.
- Just like with waxing, there are at-home laser devices available too! The Glowyskin.Care IPL Hair Removal Handset aims to remove unwanted hair, slow the aging process by reducing wrinkles and perfect the skin tone by treating blemishes. If you are looking to combat unwanted hair from the comfort of your home, the Glowyskin.Care IPL Hair Removal Handset can help!
- As for pain, laser hair removal treatment doesn't hurt nearly as much as waxing. In fact, most people will tell you it feels like a rubber band snapping on the skin or a warm pinprick.
- Almost anyone can get laser hair removal treatment, but it is most effective on people with light skin tones and dark hair. However, if you have light hair or dark skin, just consult with your certified laser technician about your options. Laser hair removal technology has come a long way, and there are now special lasers available that can help to remove unwanted hair on all skin types and hair colors.
- Laser hair removal treatment is much more expensive than a single waxing session, but as a long-term hair removal method, it can actually be much more cost-effective over time. Plus, many laser clinics offer financing options and payment plans to make payments more manageable.
- Laser hair removal is a process. In order for the laser light to completely destroy the hair follicle, your hair needs to be in a certain stage of growth known as the anagen phase. For this reason, multiple treatments are required. You won't see the instant results you'll see from waxing, but the results will last longer.
Okay, so which is better, laser hair removal or waxing?
When it boils down to removing unwanted hair, it's easy to see why laser hair removal treatment is the best method. It's a long-term solution that's far less painful than waxing.
At the end of the day, it is up to you to decide which method is best for your needs, but if you have been looking for a more permanent solution to getting rid of your unwanted body hair without having to deal with hot wax each month, then it's time to consider laser hair removal treatment - you will thank us later!